When I think of bucket-list, amazing, awesome trips to have with children, the Galapagos is definitely high up there. It’s on our family’s own, unwritten bucket list.
So, in honor of this place that makes for an amazing setting in books (and probably real life, too, I just haven’t been myself) – let’s take a look at some children’s books about the Galapagos. Oh, and there’s a travel activity printable about the Galapagos at the end of this post.
P.S. Don’t forget to check out our post about using books to learn about other cultures.
What’s the Galapagos? These books will help your kids find out.
First things first – these books will help teach your kids about the Galapagos. (You can also find more books about Ecuador for Children on our GLOBAL BOOKSHELF.)
- Island: A Story of the Galapagos by Jason Chin
- Where are the Galapagos Islands? by Megan Stine and illustrated by John Hinderliter
- The Galapagos Islands by Donna Herweck Rice and Lauren Altermatt
Children’s books about traveling to the Galapagos Islands
Now that the kids are more familiar with the islands, check out some books that tell stories about the unique journey to get to the Galapagos.
- We’re Sailing to Galapagos: A Week in the Pacific by Laurie Krebs and illustrated by Grazia Restelli
- Tomas and the Galapagos Adventure by Carolyn Lunn and illustrated by Ashley Rades
- Wally the Warm-Weather Penguin by Stephanie M. Ward and illustrated by Vanessa Landin
Who’s Charles Darwin? Learning about him and the Galapagos Islands go hand in hand.
While I tend to focus on the place, the people heavily associated with the place deserve mention, too. Here are three children’s books about Charles Darwin.
- What Darwin Saw: The Journey that Changed the World by Rosalyn Schanzer
- Who was Charles Darwin? by Deborah Hopkinson and illustrated by Nancy Harrison
- Charles Darwin’s Around the World Adventure by Jennifer Thermes
Children’s Coloring Books for the Galapagos Islands
A fun way to learn about places is to color them. Here are some coloring book options to learn more about the person and animals of the Galapagos Islands.
- The Animals of the Galapagos Islands: Coloring Book by
- Charles Darwin by John Green
- Galapagos Islands: Coloring Book by Jan Sovak
What are some children’s stories that are set in the Galapagos Islands?
The following books are stories set on the Galapagos Islands. They are fun reads for children. Perfect for thos who want to learn more about the islands and their animals indirectly.
- Take Your Time: A Tale of Harriet, the Galapagos Tortoise by Eva Furro and Donna Jo Napoli and illustrated by Laurel Molk
- Galapagos George by Jean Craighead George and illustrated Wendell Minor
- A Blue-Footed Booby Named Solly McBoo by Dwayne Magee and illustrated by Adam Arditi
- Galapagos Girl/Galapaguena (English/Spanish book) by Marsha Diane Arnold and illustrated by Angela Dominguez
- Phillie Phanatic’s: Galapagos Islands Adventure: by Tom Burgoyne and illustrated by Len Epstein
- Gretchen’s Group of Giggling Blue Foot Boobies on Galapagos Island by Pamela Denise Brown
Learn about the Galapagos Islands with this free download
Download our 7-page activity package for kids learning about the Galapagos. All you have to do is click on the image below.
Thinking of visiting the Galapagos Islands with kids?
Great idea! You may need to use a tour company. Here are some options that offer family-friendly itineraries for your trip.
- Galapagos Islands Family Vacation by Classic Journeys, winner of the AFAR Magazine Travellers’ choice awards.
- G Adventures Family Land Galapagos – Multi-activities
- Adventures by Disney Ecuador and Galapagos Islands
Save this on Pinterest
Any books you think I should add? Let me know in the comments.