There’s something fun about following the same book character(s) through a series of books. The kids become more familiar with the character and parents know what to expect.
Here’s a list of 8 book series that tell stories of their main characters traveling the world.
Please note that I link to both the KidsTravelBooks directory and Amazon. In some cases, the series listed in KidsTravelBooks only has a sampling of books available (I’m working on it!), so I link to Amazon’s complete listing of the book for your convenience. (Links to Amazon are affiliate links.)
Flat Stanley’s Worldwide Adventures
These books are based off of the original Flat Stanley series of decades ago. Join Flat Stanley and his family, the Lambchops, as they find adventures around the world. Children will also love printing out their own Flat Stanley to bring on their trip.
- Written by: Jeff Brown
- Illustrated by: Macky Paminmtuan
- Ages: 6-10
- Find Flat Stanley books in the KTB directory, or directly on Amazon.
Benjamin Blog and his Inquisitive Dog
This fun series provides a different format for readers. Benjamin shares his adventures with his dog, Marco Polo, via a series of blog posts. Don’t worry, you don’t need wi-fi to read them. They’re all in the book. These are fact-filled with real photos.
- Written by: Anita Ganeria
- Illustrated by: Semur Isik
- Ages: 6-10
- Find Benjamin Blog in the KTB directory, or directly on Amazon.
Rabs and Ted
The bunny and bear, Rabs and Ted, get into trouble wherever they go. Bad news for them, but great news for us since the go a lot of places! My kids love this duo.
- Written by: Sally Bennett
- Ages: 3-8
- Find Rabs and Ted in the KTB directory, read about them in the blog, or buy directly on Amazon.
Adventures of Riley
Animal lovers will enjoy the Adventures of Riley series. Riley frequently joins her Uncle Max, a biologist, on animal studies around the world. Please note that some of the books in the series are hard to find (but not impossible)!
- Written by: Amanda Lumry and Laura Hurwitz
- Illustrations by: Sarah McIntyre
- Ages: 4-8
- Find Adventures of Riley in the KTB directory, or buy directly on Amazon.
Travels with Gannon and Wyatt
Explorers Gannon and Wyatt are based off two real brothers. Their books take them on expeditions around the world and the diary entry format pays homage to famous journals of the past.
- Written by: Patti Wheeler and Keith Hemstreet
- Ages: 9-12
- Find Travels with Gannon and Wyatt in the KTB directory, or buy directly on Amazon.
KeeKee’s Big Adventures
I first learned about KeeKee through my friends at The Three Under and Gone with the Family. They love how KeeKee the Cat introduces young children to the landmarks, culture, food, and more of each of her destinations.
- Written by: Shannon Jones
- Illustrated by: Casey Uhelski
- Ages: 5-7
- Find KeeKee’s Big Adventures in the KTB directory, or buy directly on Amazon.
Magic Tree House/Fact Checker
Kids and parents both love the Magic Tree House series. Not all of their books are travel-based, but many are. What makes it extra fun is their accompanying Fact Checker series to help readers learn more about the destinations behind Annie and Jack’s trips.
- Written by: by Mary Pope Osborne, Natalie Pope Boyce, Will Osborne (and other contributors depending on the specific book).
- Ages: 4-8
- Find Magic Tree House and Magic Tree House Fact Checker in the KTB directory, or buy Magic Tree House and Magic Tree House Fact Checker directly on Amazon.
Molly and the Magic Suitcase
Of course, no list of travel series on this site will be complete without mentioning Molly and the Magic Suitcase. Molly and Michael travel the world and meet local children who take them on a cultural tour around their city.
- Written by: Chris Oler
- Illustrated by: Amy Oler
- Ages: 4-8
- Find Molly and the Magic Suitcase in the KTB directory, or buy directly on Amazon.
There are so many series available for kids to enjoy and learn about the world. I already know that I need to do a part two of this post in the future.
What’s your favorite?