Children’s books set in Great Britain
Welcome to the children’s books set in Great Britain section of Kids Travel Books. It’s part of our Destination: Europe global bookshelf. Below you will find some fast facts for kids, links to the three countries that make up Great Britain, and a fun video that explains the British Isles vs. Great Britain vs. the United Kingdom.
Fast facts about Great Britain for kids
- Great Britain is located in the North Atlantic Ocean and is the largest island of the British Isles. Wales, Scotland, and England are part of Great Britain. Together with Northern Ireland, it makes up the United Kingdom.
- The capital of Great Britain (which is the capital of the United Kingdom and England) is London. (We also have a free download of London-themed activities.)
- The pound sterling (more commonly referred to as the pound) is the official currency of the United Kingdom.
- English is the official language, though each country within Great Britain may have its own official language.
- Children studying Great Britain may also be interested in learning more about the countries individually.
We’ll be gradually adding information for bookish things to do in each of the individual county’s pages (there’s so many!), so click on the countries below for more details.